Let us all read these scriptures : (Different people can read)
3 And he said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.
4 Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.
5 "And whoever welcomes a little child like this in my name welcomes me.
2 Chronicles 26:16
But after Uzziah became powerful, his pride led to his downfall. He was unfaithful to the LORD his God, and entered the temple of the LORD to burn incense on the altar of incense.
2 Chronicles 32:25
But Hezekiah's heart was proud and he did not respond to the kindness shown him; therefore the Lord's wrath was on him and on Judah and Jerusalem.
1 Corinthians 13:1-7
1 If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal.
2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.
3 If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.
5 It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.
6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
In his pride the wicked does not seek him; in all his thoughts there is no room for God.
To fear the LORD is to hate evil; I hate pride and arrogance, evil behavior and perverse speech.
16 There are six things the LORD hates, seven that are detestable to him:
17 haughty eyes, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood,
18 a heart that devises wicked schemes, feet that are quick to rush into evil,
19 a false witness who pours out lies and a man who stirs up dissension among brothers.
But he gives us more grace. That is why Scripture says: "God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble."
1 Peter 5:5
Young men, in the same way be submissive to those who are older. All of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because, "God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble."
Let us share what was the common theme presented in these scriptures.
What is pride?
What constitutes a "proud" person? The negative sense points to a sinful individual who shifts ultimate confidence from God to self. Thus, in the Old Testament books, the prideful are generally associated with the wicked, the arrogant, the presumptuous and those who are insolent toward God.
The New Testament it refers to a violent or insolent person.
Let us make a list of what constitutes pride :
AN ATTITUDE OF
- Not a good listener
- Not eager to learn
- Not quick to admit it is wrong
- Fears it may look bad or lose position
- Easily threatened, insecure
- Finds it hard to rejoice in the success of others
What is the problem with pride?
Problem is not in admitting but in taking it seriously.
We joke about it and we often say, "I'am a prideful dog!"
But would we joke about any other sin in the same way?
Would we say, "I am just a child abuser or a swindler or an adulterer?"
It is to Satan's credit how we minimize and trivialize what is the deepest and most serious sin in man's heart.
How is it great sin as said by C.S.Lewis?
Let us look at some sins and see where the attitude comes from. What do people think and justify when they fall into the following sins?
What is sexual immorality?
- I deserve to have my pleasure and Is should not worry about consequences
- I don't trust that God can work throuth the truth. I have more confidence in my ability to deceive and to distort facts
What is hatred?
- I am better than you are and I have a right to despise you for what you have done or what you are.
What is rebellion?
- I know better that my leaders and I can do accomplish better things by doing what I want to do.
What is ignoring the needs of others?
- My life is the most important thing: accomplishing my goals, getting my pleasure and fulfilling my needs
What is ingratitude?
- I have what I have because I worked for it, or at least I deserve it, plus there are other things that I deserve as well
What is disobedience?
- I know the Bible says this; but I have a better way
What is discord?
- I have no need for a relationship with you. I will be able to accomplish what I need to without unity.
What is Racism and predudice?
- Those people just aren't as good as we are.
In conclusion Pride is a trait of our sinful nature not just some annoying flaw.
What evidence is there that you take seriously the sin of pride in your life?