Humility is often misunderstood in today's world. When we talk of the word humility we usually get an impression of a wimpy person who lets people walk over.
But humility has great Biblical significance. The opposite of humility is pride and God is not at all happy with those who display pride
He mocks proud mockers but gives grace to the humble.
Humility is a character which is not really in built in us but we need to ask ourselves at regular intervals as to whether we are being humble.
Pride is a character which satan uses very effectively to disrespect God's word
(1) It makes us stubborn and rebellious
(2) It makes you think that you are better than the others
(3) Makes you think that your ideas are the best and that things should go your way
(4) It makes you hate to apologise.
As a young kid, we all must have heard about the race between the tortoise and the hare. The hare was much too confident that he would win the race since he had a lot of speed and stamina. Pride got into him and he started thinking that he was anytime better and faster
as compared to the tortoise. And so he took a nap during the race ultimately he found that the tortoise defeated him while he was asleep. From this we need to learn that pride makes us losers.
for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose.
In humility consider others better than yourselves..
Our attitude towards humility should be the same as that of Christ. How was Jesus humble ?
1) He was God but still came to the earth in the form of a man.
2) He was humiliated & then died on the cross for others.
We need to be humble in our practical life :
• We need to be willing to accept our faults and apologise.
• We need not get upset when someone blames us falsely.
• We should not take revenge or keep any attitudes in our heart.
• We need to be patient with others (for e.g. when you are travelling in a crowded train and someone stamps your foot very hard & you need to smile and not retaliate or argue.
To be humble is not an easy task in today's world but as Christians we need to constantly pray about it and remind ourselves from time to time
1 Peter 5:5-6
5 Young men, in the same way be submissive to those who are older. All of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because, "God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble."
6 Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time.
Go up to your discipler and ask him the areas in which you need to change and focus on changing them !